Interview Experiences Series — Vimeo
Hi, I have been thinking to share my interview experiences for a while now. After thinking for a few days, I thought to put all the interview experiences as a series.
The first one coming out from this series is the Vimeo interview experience.
Can’t wait to bring this series to you…
Let’s get started ….
What is Vimeo?
Vimeo, Inc. is an American video hosting, sharing, and services platform provider headquartered in New York City. Vimeo focuses on the delivery of high-definition video across a range of devices. Vimeo’s business model is through software as a service.
Vimeo went public in May 2021. It is trading on Nasdaq Stock Exchange, USA.
1. How did I land an interview?
I have been following Vimeo for a long time, and have been using it for quite some time. The way they are doing in the market and the type of products they have, it’s interesting. So, when I decided to make a shift in June, one of the first companies that popped into my mind is Vimeo.
I didn’t wait much and went over to their careers portal and started searching for the opportunities that I was interested in.
There were a few open positions that got my attention. Though I have applied to a couple of positions, I was considered for Software Engineer II (Front-End Web Developer, India) position.
2. Initial Screening Round
I think about a week later I got a call from one of the recruiters from the India office. It was a call to know more about my background, to evaluate my profile, etc.,
Once they felt that my profile is good, then I was informed that they are moving ahead with my application.
3. Technical Rounds
Later that day I received an email with an invitation to the first round.
a. First Round
- The first round went smoothly. The interviewer first introduced himself and then my introduction.
- The interview consisted of questions about my educational background, my professional experience, and the projects I have worked on so far.
- Nothing different you think? Well, tell me about yourself and the immediate questions may seem like general and the easiest ones, yes they are but they also can give some boost to your confidence level (more about it in a separate post 😉😀).
- Then there were questions about involving my tech stack and they included DSA. I don’t remember the exact questions now, but overall the interview went as I prepared for and my wait to receive an update from HR has started immediately right after the interview 😅.
- I received a call from HR about a week after the first round and I was being informed that I cleared the interview and that they would like to schedule an interview for the second round 😀.
b. Second Round
- The second round was scheduled in the middle of the week, and I had 2 days to prepare for it.
- I felt that I shouldn’t put my work aside to prepare for the interview, so I prepared for it in the nights, after I was done with my regular work.
- The interview was scheduled in the afternoon, and that was something that I didn’t think of while scheduling the interview.
- The second round started with the basic intro questions and then questions involving my tech stack.
- Then the DSA section started with basic DSA and then went into a bit more depth. Questions were not too tough, but don’t know I wasn’t 100% sure while approaching certain questions.
- Don’t remember the exact questions but after the interview, when I went through the questions immediately & quietly, I realized that I might not move to the next round 😐.
And a week later HR called me to inform me that I was not shortlisted for the next round.
Even though I didn’t receive an offer, I did learn 3 things from this interview:
- Plan your interviews wisely
- Prepare for your interviews (you might be a team lead, but still prepare)
- Evaluate your performance right after the interview
Well, such types of things happen for a reason, right? If one door is closed, then the other doors will be opened.
Follow and stay tuned to know what happened next 😎
Rajesh Chittampally is a Full Stack Developer. He is passionate about software, computers and wants to help others.